header Cymraeg English

The Big Anthem Trail

 
   

Although the National Anthem is linked with the town of Pontypridd there are many other sites associated with the history of the Anthem within the local area. This trail - by highlighting some of the main sites of interest allows the more adventurous reader to explore the area and learn more about our National Anthem.

Below is a map with links relating to significant events to do with our National Anthem. Click on any of them to jump straight to that section where you can find more information.

   
Big Anthem Trail Map
   
Aberdare  
   
Former site of the Swan Hotel, Aberaman. James James lived here with his son Taliesin, also a harpist, for a short time following the death of his wife - Cecilia.
 
   
Aberdare Map - Swan Hotel
Former site of the Swan Hotel, Aberaman. James James lived here with his son Taliesin, also a harpist, for a short time following the death of his wife - Cecilia.
   
Number 6 Hawthorn Terrace, Aberdare  
   

The final home of James James, where he died on 11th January 1902.

 
   
Aberdare Map - Number 6 Hawthorn Place
Number 6 Hawthorn Terrace, Aberdare
   
The grave stone of James James  
   

James James was buried at Aberdare Cemetery located on Hirwaun Road with his late wife Cecilia who died on the 12th. of March 1892. His youngest daughter Louisa was also buried there in 1910.

 
   
Aberdare Map - The grave stone of James James
The grave stone of James James
   
Mountain Ash  
   
In 1873 James James moved to Mountain Ash to keep The Colliers Arms Public House. He was to remain in the Cynon Valley for the rest of his life.  
   
Mountain Ash Map - Colliers Arms
Colliers Arms
   
Maesteg  
   
Maesteg Workingmens Club  
   
Former site of Tabor Methodist Chapel where 16 year old Elizabeth John first publicly performed the National Anthem.  
   
Maesteg Map - Workings Mens Club
Maesteg Workingmens Club
   
Tabor Methodist Chapel  
   

Often mistaken for the original Tabor Methodist Chapel at which the National Anthem was first publicly performed, this chapel was in fact built in 1907 and has been converted into flats during the early part of 2006. The original site is now the Workingmens Club pictured above.

 
   
Maesteg Map - Tabor Methodist Chapel
Tabor Methodist Chapel
   

Pontypridd

 
   
The Mosaic  
   

Recent commemorations to Evan and James James include a mosaic in a Pontypridd town centre underpass that shows their likenesses. See below for map location of the mosaic.

The Mosaic
   

The Plaque

 
   

Plaque marking the place where Evan James' woollen factory once stood. The current plaque is a replacement for the original marble tablet, unveiled in 1931, that was damaged during building works.

 
   
Pontypridd Map - The Plaque
The Plaque
   
The Harp  
   

This harp which once belonged to Taliesin James, son of James James, can be seen in the Pontypridd Historical and Cultural Centre.

 
   
Pontypridd Map - The Harp
The Harp
   

The Memorial

 
   

Memorial to Evan and James James, Ynysangharad Park, Pontypridd. The memorial, designed by the artist Sir W.Goscombe John, was unveiled on July 23rd 1930. The remains of Evan James and his wife Elizabeth were re-interred under the memorial on July 1st 1973.

 
   
Pontypridd Map - The Memorial
The Memorial
© 2011 Rhondda Cynon Taf Library Service